Welcome to K-Prep! In a year, these kids will be headed off to kindergarten and this school year we will be working on getting prepared to head off to big kid school!
We will be working a lot on literacy and math skills, social/emotional skills, self-control and learning to be independent.
A big part of our classroom will be helping others, treating each others kindly and being respectful to others and ourselves. In order for a child to be successful in a classroom setting, they need to know how to be considerate of others, know how to be kind and to respect the opinions and cultures of others. We are all created differently and that's what makes the world so wonderful!
Children learn at their own pace and while some children already may know how to write and read their name, other children may not, and that's okay. I tell parents the story of my 2nd and last boys...neither one of them wanted to sit down at home with me and do anything that they considered learning and entered kindergarten not knowing how to read or write their name. They both left kindergarten reading at a 2nd grade level and continue to be successful in school. Boys typically just want to go off and play while the girls tend to be more detailed oriented and want to learn...not always, but typically, and that's also okay. That being said, however, I want for every child to be able to sit at circle time and participate, as they will be expected to do in kindergarten. I want them all to have the same opportunities for learning as the child next to them.
All learning is not done while sitting at circle time talking about the calendar or weather or practicing writing...a big part of learning is through play. Social skills are learned and practiced as well as math and literacy skills. Learning is an ongoing experience throughout the day and while it may look like children are just playing, they are truly learning as well.
I believe in the individuality of each child and want them to feel they are able to express themselves both verbally and creatively.
Throughout the year we will have parties and celebrations and you will be given plenty of notice as to when those dates will happen. I have a big Halloween party, a Christmas Tea party for parents and a Mother's Day Tea and we will celebrate other holidays and special occasions as well. If your child has any allergies (food or other) or special food requirements, please let me know a.s.a.p.! I have plenty myself, so I completely understand if we need to make different arrangements or provide different food for your child.
Please make sure that if you haven't provided me with your email that you email me, leave me a note or put it on the sign in sheet next to your child's name.
If you ever have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to email me or call me at the center at 452-7574. My hours are 7:30-3:30. I check my email before I leave for school (usually around 7 a/m), when I get home and during the evening.
I update this blog every Sunday with news of what we worked on during the week, what we will be working on the upcoming week, the leader calendar and pictures of the kids playing. If you do not want (for whatever reason) your child's photo to be on the blog, please let me know (if you haven't already) and I will make sure their face is not included on the blog.
I am excited about a new school year with a new group of kids and can't wait to see what fun things we can get into this year!
.......Mrs. Wendy
We are excited to have a great last year with you. Logan loves LCCEC!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I am excited to have Logan in my class!
ReplyDelete