Sunday, August 19, 2012

August 19, 2012

It's hard to believe we have already completed a whole week of school! I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and is well rested! Saturday my youngest two kids and I went to the big Goodwill on Patton Ave. On the side of the store, they have a clearance outlet with rows and rows and rows of huge bins filled with books, clothes, toys, baskets...you name it. I went specifically looking for some old Halloween costumes (like princess costumes, fireman costumes) to use in the housekeeping center but instead found some cars and some books. Everything there (except for electronic stuff) is $1.10 a pound. If I had much younger kids, I could have outfitted them for year with the things I found in the bins! Another really good place to go for used books is Mr. K's in Asheville in the River Ridge Marketplace (near the WNC Nature Center).

Last week we traced letters in sand with our fingers, played in the rice table, made some more collages and played with magnets, went fishing for blue, red, yellow and green fish and talked about more/less and put them on a graph. We also started using our white boards at circle time and wrote our letters and word of the week. We tried a science experiment, which involved water, food coloring and paper towels. The paper towels were to soak up the food colored water (one side was yellow and the other was green) and they were to combine in the middle and make the color green. It was taking a very long time and while the towels were soaking up the water and trying to combine in the middle cup, the kids were getting impatient waiting for it to work so we ended up squeezing the paper towels into the middle cup and getting our green color. The kids also drew portraits of themselves and during this art project they decided to start drawing their family as well. We discussed what features and details to put on the pictures. For example, people have two eyes, two ears, one nose, a neck, arms with hands and five fingers on each hand..that sort of thing. You can see their beautiful pictures on the wall with the two windows! I think they turned out great!

The kids really seem to like this cozy room and have adapted very well to the space. I love the classroom because it is so cozy and the kids get busy playing and having fun instead of wandering around the room from place to place. Thank you for being patient as we try to figure out what solutions work best for parents, kids and teachers as we transition to Mrs. Gail's room for rest time. I know parents are busy when they come to get their child at the end of the day and we try to make things convenient for all of us. If you park on the side of the church (closest to our classroom), you can walk to Mrs. Gail's room, get your child and then walk back through and pick up their backpack on the way to the car. We have asked Mrs. Sarah to have the children take their backpacks back to their hooks when they go out to play in the afternoon to make pick up time easier. Please let me know if this is working out okay for you. Having lunch in the classroom seems to be easier as well. For those of you who pick up your child after lunch, please let me know if you like it better picking them up in our classroom or going to the other building and picking them up in Mrs. Gail's classroom. For me, personally, I like having lunch in our classroom and I think the kids enjoy it as well.

This week we will be listening to Bible stories starting with creation and Adam and Eve, reading beach themed stories, "catching" more fish, using the water tub, creating a collage of the first letter of their own name, making shapes with play doh, patterning and writing letters on gooey bags (ziploc bags filled with hair gel...it's a really fun sensory/tactile/writing activity!). Our letters will be C and D, our numbers will be 13 and 14 and the word of the week will be "to".

I hope everyone has a great week!

Mrs. Wendy

Here are some pics from last week:






















































No comments:

Post a Comment