Saturday, October 25, 2014

October 25, 2014

What a gorgeous weekend! Maggie Valley and Waynesville have been super busy with leaf looker traffic and tourists, which is great for our local stores and restaurants!  It's hard to believe we live in such a beautiful part of our country. Every time I drive up the mountain to my house I am thankful to live where it is so pretty! 

Most of you by now know my daughter Jamie who works afternoons at our school...well, it seems the teaching bug has gotten to her. She is about 99% sure she is going to change her major at college and go into teaching. If she does, she will be a 4th generation teacher on my side of the family. My maternal grandmother, my paternal grandmother, my mom, my dad, me and now Jamie! Must be a family thing! I think she will make a great teacher!

Last week we where busy making pumpkin cookies with maple frosting, working on our letters and numbers, finishing our fall leaves and doing a dancing worms science experiment. I put a cup of warm water in a clear plastic cup and took 4 gummy worms (I found a bag of small ones at the Dollar Tree) and cut them in half lengthwise. (If you do this at home, run the knife under water or dust it with flour first so the knife won't stick to the worms) I put the 8 half worms in the warm water with 3 TBS of baking soda for 15 minutes. Then we took another clear plastic cup and filled it 3/4 full of vinegar and fished out the worms from the baking soda and placed them in the vinegar. The baking soda began reacting with the vinegar and bubbles formed on the worms creating lifting action to move the worms around and up and down in the cup. For fun we then added more baking soda then more vinegar and at one point it fizzed out and over the top of the cup which the kids thought was a lot of fun! If you do this at home I would recommend using a few worm halves. I noticed several where being held down by others and where unable to move so I think using less would be better to get them to all move around. 

Thank you to Mrs. Lovenda who took over for me at circle time a few days this week! I was losing my voice and couldn't talk long or very well. (and for someone like me who likes to talk, that is very hard to do! ) :) 

I also want to thank a mom from a previous student who dropped off several bags of toys to donate to our classroom. The boys have really loved the new shield and knight helmet, canoe, cars and motorcycle and the girls love the new pocketbooks and animals! 

This week we are going to work on letters Cc and Hh, numbers 17 and 18, a the rhombus shape and the sight word "the". We are going to make spiders out of black play doh, make a T-Chart, do a science experiment and have our Halloween party! 

We are requesting the following items for our party: 3 Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash 2 liter bottles, Orange Sherbert, 1 Ginger Ale and bags of candy (individually wrapped candies) we can put in treat bags. If you are able to provide an item, please let me know a.s.a.p. 


Upcoming Events: 

Halloween Party October 31st in the Fellowship Hall. Your child may wear a costume but please bring a change of clothes they can put on (for the most part) by themselves. 

 Important Info: 

Even though the afternoons are still warm, we are going outside at 10:00 in the morning and it is still very cool and has been cold several mornings this week. You might want to bring in a hat/mittens/gloves for your child to wear outside. 

Please change out your child's change of clothes for some warmer winter clothes. 


Leader Day For The Week Of the 27th-31st: 

Monday:        Max

Tuesday;        Chace

Wednesday:   Weston 

Thursday:      Mary Beth 

Friday:           Tanner


Have A Great Week! 

Mrs. Wendy


some pics from last week: 

















































































No comments:

Post a Comment