Sunday, January 18, 2015

January 18, 2015

I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful three day weekend! The kids and I where going to take down our Christmas Tree but we haven't quite gotten around to getting it done...laziness has set in! I did manage to clean out the fish bowl for my Beta Fish, Navy...a really pretty blue male Beta. I guess that counts for something. :)

My husband is finally back in the states after spending over three weeks in France and Berlin. The day of the attack in Paris he was traveling by train from Lyon to Paris to catch a flight to Berlin. Thankfully the only problems he encountered was a 2 hr flight delay and made it back safely to Berlin. Travel warnings where put out for Americans traveling abroad and the German Chancellor put out warnings for their citizens to be very vigilant after an attack happened on a magazine in Hamburg, Germany. Needless to say my husband was very happy to get back on US soil. He is back at the home office in Pittsburgh and the IT team is preparing to leave in two weeks to spend two weeks in Sao Paulo Brazil.

Last week we where busy cooking pizza biscuits which required multiple ingredients and multiple steps in getting them ready for baking (yumm!), played games on the tablet, used our flashlights to read on Flashlight Fridays and doing our regular academic stuff.

This week, although a short one, is going to be busy! We are going to learn about Brazil, have a traditional Brazilian meal, listen to some Brazilian music and learn some Portuguese words. For a science project we are going to be making little bird feeders the kids can take home and hang somewhere they will be able to see the birds eat the food. The kids really enjoy watching the little birds come eat at our classroom bird feeder! 

We will be listening to instrumental music by John Williams, a famous composer who wrote the musical scores for the original Star Trek, Star Wars, Superman, Battlestar Galactica and many others. 
 The kids will be able to hear trumpets, trombones, flutes, strings and other instruments that make up these great theme songs. I am a big fan of introducing kids to different styles of music. I grew up in a musical family with my dad's sister singing Opera with the Philadelphia Philharmonic Orchestra, his mom was a public school music teacher and my dad was a church organist and in recent years plays the pipe organ at the Collingswood Theater in NJ. Music was a part of our every day life and we listened to all types of music at our house which I think has given me a greater appreciation for many styles of music. I hope to inspire this in the children as well!

Our letters this week will be Ww and Xx, numbers 26 and 27, the sight word "was" and the octagon shape.

We had several children that where very cold and wanted to go back inside when we where outside playing this past week. I have several hats and gloves that I let the kids borrow but this isn't enough when their coats aren't warm and thick enough. The playground is 90% shade when it is our time to play outside and even though the kids are running around, the wind whips around and the air is still cold. Please make sure your child has a really warm winter coat, hats and gloves. 


Reminders:  



  • Sign up for text alerts for school delays/closings by going to this link:  http://www.wlos.com/station/features/text-alerts/#.VLGOiXslnvM  
        You can sign up just for our school or get started on next school year and add Haywood County Schools. This text feature comes in very handy, especially if our school closes early for severe weather and parents need to be notified.

  • Flashlight Friday will be taking place every Friday. I have purchased several extras for those who forget but I don't have enough for all 10 children napping on Fridays. Please make sure your child has a flashlight to read on their cots on Friday afternoons. 

Leaders For The Week Of January 20-23:

Tuesday:         Carver

Wednesday:    Khloe

Thursday:       Sophia

Friday:           Brannon


Have a great week!


Some pics from last week:

































































No comments:

Post a Comment