I guess I have been enjoying the quiet solitude of the deck too much this morning as I am having trouble getting motivated to get my day going. I promised my youngest two kids we would go to Mr. K's in Asheville to look for books and if you haven't ever been there, you have to go! It's off I-40 at exit 53B...the Nature Center exit and it's in that shopping center with Hancock Fabrics, AC Moore, etc. You can take books in for trade credit and we always find lots of good books and I also find records to use on my record player. (yes, I am that old!) :) I am hoping to find a Steve Miller Band record....I saw them in concert this past Thursday at Harrah's in Cherokee. I didn't realize the lead singer started this band back in 1956! They hit it big in the 60's and 70's but have never lost their popularity!
This past week we had a lot of fun playing and learning! The kids have really gotten into the daily routines and our classroom rules. They seem to really love the white board activities we do with our letter, shape, number and sight word of the week and I am really impressed with their ability to form the letters and numbers! On Music Monday we listened to some Doo-Wop style music, Tuesday the kids all had a turn playing preschool games on the tablet, Wednesday we had our water fun and Friday we had our Flashlight Friday! The kids also had opportunities to use playdoh to form our letter of the week, practice writing the sight word and use their fine motor skills by putting buttons on "trees" (chenille sticks put together to resemble trees) and on Friday we did yoga, which the kids loved!
This week we will be working on letter Cc, number 7, the square shape and the sight word "me". I will be bringing in water beads for a sensory activity and bringing in something different to eat for taste test Thursday and doing a science experiment with an apple. This week I will be starting to do a "writers workshop" on Wednesdays. The children designed their cover for their journals and each Wednesday the children will have an opportunity to draw pictures and write in their journals. This is a great way to start working on pre-writing skills and following directions! As with every day, the kids will also have ample of time for free play and time to play outside! We keep our circle times short...15 minutes or less and at each circle time there is something different going on such as show and tell, white boards, Bible lessons, singing and listening to stories....and these children love to have books read to them!
This coming Wednesday, the 9th, our Chapel time will start back up again with Pastor Laura upstairs in the Sanctuary.
I have invited my friend, Michele Mull (she does sign language interpretation for the public schools and has done a lot of work with afterschool programs, summer camp programs and with children with special needs) to come and talk about sign language and introduce our children to some basic signs. We have already learned "stop" and "bathroom" and I would like for them to learn more...they think it's fun and have already been using the "stop" sign for when they are in a disagreement with a friend or a friend does something to them they don't like. It's really amazing to watch them use their words and the other child isn't stopping, but once they use that hand sign, the child stops. Visuals are a great tool for this age group! I don't have a set date for her as of yet, but we are working on it!
Starting in October, we will once again be implementing a reading program called Raising A Reader. I have done this program in the past with my k-prep kids and they love it! Each week they will take home a red tote bag with books to read with parents or other family members and then bring it back the following week and change it out for another red bag. At the end of the program (near our graduation date) the children will be given a blue bag of books and those will be theirs to keep! More information will be coming in the next week or two, but in the meantime, here is a link http://www.raisingareader.org/site/PageServer?pagename=rar_homepage This is a wonderful program and the kids really think it's cool to take home their bag of books each week!
As you already know, we are closed tomorrow, the 7th in Observance of Labor Day!
Our leaders for the week of September 8-11:
Monday: Closed
Tuesday: Trenten
Wednesday: Brandon
Thursday; Georgia
Friday: Haleigh
Have a great rest of the weekend!
Mrs. Wendy
pics from last week:
Steve Miller Band
72 years old and still rocking on! :)


No comments:
Post a Comment