Sunday, October 14, 2012

What a beautiful weekend! Even though the skies are a bit cloudy today, it's still a pretty fall day! When the wind picks up the leaves are coming off my trees like snowflakes flying in a blizzard!

Last week was a bit of a mixed bag... I apologize for not being at schoool Tuesday (after the field trip) and on Friday but I really needed to be home resting. On Friday I couldn't even speak! I feel my place is with my kids at school and I feel bad for not being there for them. Thankfully Lovenda does a great job and I have complete confidence in her! We did accomplish a few things like playing a roll the dice to complete the scarecrow game, we used different shapes to create a face on a pumpkin, I brought in some small gourds for the kids to examine and I cut the top off a small pumpkin, took out some of the seeds and then put in potting soil for the remaining seeds to (hopefully) grow their own pumpkin sprouts.

Because of the crazy week with the field trip and me not being able to talk much, I am going to repeat the academics and Bible lessons from last week, which means we will be working on letters Qq, Rr, numbers 27, 28, the hexagon shape, the word "my" and Bible lessons from Judges, Ruth and Samuel. This week we are going to make a cute ghost craft, listen to some fun Halloween stories and a story on CD titled "Pumpkin Soup". I was given the book/CD/Handpuppets last year by our Raising A Reader coordinator and I have been waiting for fall to use the book in my classroom...I hope the kids love it. The puppets are really cute! We will keep the playdoh/pumpkin activity going...the kids really like it and we will do some patterning with halloween stamps along with a few other math and language activities.

The kids were wonderful on our field trip to the Fire Station and  I am very proud of them! I took a few pictures that I will post and a mom from Kathy's room took some more and is going to give them to me soon. If any of the pictures of our classroom kids, I will post them.

We will be having our first Raising A Reader parent meeting on Monday, October 22nd at 9:00 a/m. I will figure out this week where we will be having the meeting...it will either be in the Fellowship Hall or in Kathy's room. Kristi Cook is our coordinator and she will be giving the meeting to tell parents what the program is all about and how the book bag system works. We will have three meetings this year with the last one being at the public library and each child will be given their own book bag (with a few books inside) to take home and keep. My kids last year liked taking the book bags home every week. I know it can be diffcult for parents (and me!) to keep up with the bags and bringing them back, but the kids love reading the books.

Reminders:

Halloween party October 31st in the Fellowship Hall. Your child can wear their costume but please bring a change of clothes (leave them in a plastic wal-mart/ingles type bag hanging on their hook in the hallway) in case they want to change or they get dirty. We will be having a fun morning snack (assembled by volunteers) and games and activities. We need volunteers to help put together the snacks and serve the kids and also volunteers to be stationed at an activity. We will be putting the kids together in groups of no more than 4 kids so if you are volunteering, for example to work the Pin The Tail, you won't at any given time have more than 4 kids at your activity. The times we need volunteers are 8:00-12:00. A sign up sheet will be located on the easel in the entry way where you come in that side door. If you have any questions about any of the activities or games, please don't hesitate to ask! If you haven't brought in your $3.00 to help with the cost of the party, please bring it in as soon as possible. I am going shopping this coming weekend for party stuff!

Have a great week!

Mrs. Wendy

Pics from last week:





































No comments:

Post a Comment