Sunday, April 26, 2015

April 26, 2015

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend! I spent yesterday morning driving around with Nathan and trying to preserve my sanity. He is doing a good job, but there is nothing like merging onto I-40 with two tractor trailers coming up at 70 mph...one in each lane and not being able to get over right away. And the circles....why oh why do my kids have such trouble with that circle near Walmart? In NJ there was a circle everywhere you went and a jug handle for turning left which meant you went into the right lane and into a half circle to head across the intersection to turn left....strange, I know, but it worked! If I survive all 4 of my kids driving I will be the happiest person around! If I could have preserved my kids at age 5, I would have done so! :)

This past week we learned about Claude Monet and looked at a lot of his famous paintings, including the water lilies, which we re-created ourselves. Our paintings are hanging on the classroom wall, so check them out when get you get a chance! They turned so cute! We also got caught up on our Mother's Day projects, did our estimation jar, read lots of cute stories and Sam the elephant came to the classroom to help out with the book "A Sick Day For Amos McGee". Our lettuce plants had to go home for awhile...both the bulbs burned out and I need to get more. This aero garden unit is old and I need to get new bulbs. For now the unit is sitting on my window seat and the lettuce is still growing!

For fun this coming week, we are going to have a "bring your pet to school day"...however, the pets will be stuffed animals! We would like for each child (with parent help, of course) find out some fun facts about the animal they are bringing in so they can tell the classroom. For example if I bring in my stingray I can tell the children they live in shallow coastal waters, their mouth is on the bottom of their body, they bury themselves in the sand, they like to eat shrimp, clams, oysters and sometimes small fish.  The day we are having "bring your pet to school" will be on Wednesday to give every child a chance to pick something out from their bedroom or closet and to find some fun information out about their animal. We will also be doing yoga and aerobic exercises, our daily circle time language and math activities, the water tubs, sand tubs and for some outdoor fun I found a bubble refill set at Walmart for outside play. I had found the idea on Pinterest and was going to make one for the summer time, but after finding this one for cheaper than what I can make one, I bought it for the kids! Nathan, Jamie and I had fun testing it out yesterday afternoon to make sure it worked. Sometimes I wonder if our neighbors think we are a bit crazy! :)


Upcoming Events: 

Wednesday:    Bring Your Pet To School Day

Wednesday May 6th:   Mother's Day Tea    ....a drop in event in the morning at drop-off time. Your child will have a special gift for you and there will be treats to eat!

Thursday/Friday May 7th and 8th:   I will be out of the classroom and in Charlotte for our oldest sons graduation from UNC Charlotte with his Masters Degree in computer science.  :)

Friday May 22nd:  Graduation at 10:00 a/m in the Sanctuary. A reception will follow. The children may go home with you at that time or they may stay at school. We will be open until 6:00 that evening.

Monday May 25/Tuesday May 26th:  We will be closed for Memorial Day and a Teacher Workday.

Wednesday May 27th:   We re-open for summer session


Reminders:  

Our cubbies are small and do not have the room to accomodate big bed size pillows and large thick blankets. If your child wants to use a pillow at rest time, please make sure they have a small one that will fit in their cubby along with their blanket and animal. By the time the kids try to fit in their backpack, blanket, animal and pillow, things start to fall out and end up on the floor and we don't want the kids belongings to get dirty or misplaced. If it doesn't all fit into a backpack, it's probably too big.


Necklaces, bracelets and rings need to stay at home so they do not get broken or lost. The girls spend more time playing with them than actually wearing them and it becomes very distracting for the other children at circle time.


Please have your child wear shoes they can wear all day long and not have to change to go outside to play. With warmer weather upon us, if you would like for your child to wear sandals, they need to be closed toe and at least a good strap on the heel to hold it on their feet.



Leaders for the week of April 27th-May 1st: 

Monday:         Carver

Tuesday:         Riley

Wednesday:    Tanner

Thursday:       Brannon

Friday:             Chace


Have a great week!

....Mrs. Wendy


some pics from last week:

















































No comments:

Post a Comment