Last week we worked on letters W and X, numbers 11 and 12, our shape was a pentagon and our word of the week was "did". We also made our Valentine Day card holders and our "love bug" painted rocks which the children will be bringing home this week. We tried the ballon experiment again and the first time we did it there must have been a hole in the ballon because when it began filling up with carbon dioxide, it started shooting out baking soda and vinegar across the room. I have a picture of it on the February 8th blog...it is the pink balloon. All of us thought it was funny, but I ended up smelling like vinegar the rest of the day! We also did a sink/float experiment and tried out 8 different objects to see if they would sink or float and we also did the mixing colors with water and food coloring experiment again. I tried a new language activity with duplo blocks with letters written on each block in which the children were to make our sight words out of the blocks. It was a bit more challenging than I thought it would be so I am going back to the drawing board and will be re-doing the letters on the blocks so they can build the blocks from left to right instead of up and down. You can see from the pics below how they originally put them together.
This week we will be working on letters Y and Z, the number 20 and a heart shape. Our Bible verse will be Proverbs 17:17 "A friend loves at all times" and our word of the week will be "the". We will also be reading stories about bears and hibernation and will be making a craft of a bear who is hibernating in a cave! I am also going to try a science experiment with baking powder and a submarine that I found at Mast General Store. You fill the top part of the sub with baking powder and when it submerges in the water it is supposed to rise and sink a few times...hopefully!
We will have our Valentines Day party on Tuesday, the 14th during our regular morning snack time. Hopefully the sugar will have worn off by the time the kids go home!
The mid-year assessments have been put in your child's folder with the exception of a few children who had been absent recently. I am available to conference with you regarding your childs assessement or regarding any concerns or questions you may have. I can come in early or stay later or conference wtih you on the phone. Please let me know if you would like to talk and how and when you would like to conference.
We now have another shoe added to our "I can tie my shoes" chart on the wall! Rachel can now tie her shoes and got to color her own shoe to add to our wall on Thursday!
I want to give a special thank you to Caden's grandmother who donated a bunch of toys to our classroom...the children have really been enjoying playing with the new toys! Thank you!
Also I want to thank one of our church members, and I apologize because I do not know her name, but she cooked up batch after batch of home made play-doh in many different colors for the kids and they have really enjoyed the new play-doh! Thank you!
Leader Calendar week of February 13th through February 17th:
Monday: Addison
Tuesday: Lauren
Wednesday: Trillian
Thursday: Aiden
Friday: Logan
Reminders:
Raising A Reader parent meeting: Monday at 9:30 in the Fellowship Hall. The children will be singing and cookies and hot cocoa will be served.
Brain Quest question of the week:
Who has fewer feet...a duck or a horse?
Have a great week!
Mrs. Wendy
Some pics from Thursday/Friday:
Rachel can tie her shoes!
our new playdoh!!
Sawyer, Savannah and Sierra created a restaurant called "Maria's" and made me tomato soup, meatballs, salad and bread....
and after they brought me my food they were singing waiters who sang "Happy Birthday" to me....
and then they sang "Happy Birthday" to Seamus!
the duplo block words
No comments:
Post a Comment