Saturday, October 24, 2015

October 24, 2015

It's hard to believe, but October is almost over! While driving around today I tried hard to really enjoy the beautiful leaves! It was so pretty, at least while the sun was shining! Jamie is off house/dog sitting for a good friend who taught my three boys and taught one of them twice! I hope she has a wonderful time on her trip! Michael is back on his 12 hour shifts so today it was just Nathan and I. I don't know how to cook for two people so I bought a bunch of turkey, ham, salami and cheese for sandwiches! I am sure I will be earning mother of the year award! :)


This afternoon I spent my time with not one, not two, but three gentleman from Charter Communications. It looked like a party at my house! One of our cable boxes has been out for about a week and I finally got around to calling them and unfortunately the problem couldn't be solved over the phone. The first guy thought just the box had to be replaced but just to be sure he wanted to check all the lines coming in/out of the house and all the cable connections in the house (all 6 of them) and the phone line that hasn't worked in I don't know how long. He was outside of the house, up two different poles, in all the rooms in the house and said the lines where making some "noise" and he wanted to change out all the fittings on all the boxes and connectors. Then his supervisor shows up to help out and then another guy who was in the neighborhood who just finished his job shows up to help out. I had three Charter trucks in my yard. It looked we where having a cable party! After 4 hours with a new HDMI cable for the tv in my bedroom, new connectors, a new box for the living room and a brand new updated modem for the internet, I was good to go. All I really wanted was a quiet afternoon and a new cable box! At least everything should be good to go for awhile! Never a dull moment at my house!

This week we had our very exciting field trip to Landmark Aviation and honestly, I don't know who was more excited...me or the kids! I grew up in a small town in Southern New Jersey called Millville and we had a small airport which is known as America's First Defense Airport when it was dedicated by the US War Department in 1941. It was an Army Air Field and was home to the P-47 Thunderbolt planes. Growing up we where always driving to the airport and looking at the old army barracks and at all the planes (private small planes) and my husband did the same with our two young boys. It was great fun to sit and watch the planes take off. You could drive your car right  up to the fence and right alongside the planes that where parked outside the gated areas and walk up and touch them. Every time we moved we would always find an airport where we could go and sit and watch the planes take off and land. When we lived in Tempe, AZ I could wash dishes in the sink and look out the window to see the planes line up for landing at the Phoenix Airport, so for me going to the airport was a very exciting trip! Here is a link to a P-47 Thunderbolt plane at the Millville Airport https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=p-47+thunderbolt+millville+airport&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002  And again, I have to tell you how proud I am of these kids! They where so well behaved and so sweet!

 We also studied Germany this week! Because there is so much water between North Carolina and Germany, we had to fly in an airplane to go visiting! While in Germany we had pretzels and vanilla spritz cookies, we decorated our Shultute, listened to German Music (some yodeling as well!), watched some German Folk Dancing and then danced to some German music. I hope the kids enjoyed learning about Germany! Here is a link to the Shultute https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schult%C3%BCte, a link to the German music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bzziAv9o4w and a link to the German Folk Dancing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ9g5zFQwEI  Also during the week we played a lot and learned a lot!

This coming week we will be working on letter Jj, the number 14, the hexagon shape and the sight word "you".  We will be doing hands-on math and literacy activities, our writers workshop and playing and having fun!

  • Please remember to have your child wear or bring a coat to school...it is still cold when we go outside early in the morning. Now is also a good time to start teaching them learn how to zip, button and snap up their coats...we will be wearing them for quite a few more months!

  • Please change out your child's change of clothes for winter weather clothes 

 Upcoming Events: 

Monday, October 26th:  I will be taking the day off and Mrs. Judy K will be subbing for me!


Friday, October 30th:  KPrep Halloween party in the Fellowship Hall starting at 9:00 a/m. The children can wear a costume and have them bring a treat bag/bucket with their name on it for collecting candy/treats.  We love to have a lot of volunteers at this event for our games and activities. so if you or a grandparent can help out, please let me know! Please bring in a bag of wrapped candy (no peanuts or tree nuts) by mid-week so we can start party preparations!

Leaders For The Week Of October 26-October 30: 

Monday:         Haleigh

Tuesday:        Trenten

Wednesday:   Caroline

Thursday:      Georgia

Friday:           Brenna


Have a great week!

Mrs. Wendy

pics from last week:











Heading out to the airport! 
 Tom Fazio showing the kids around the private chartered jet






Our tour guide



The pilot of the jet




Mrs. Nancy talking to the kids


This is her private plane




This plane was coming in while we where touring

Mrs. Nancy let the kids climb up in the cockpit and try their hands at the controls









Our tour guide, Mrs. Nancy and Mr. Mike


The fabulous privately owned zebra jet


A little traffic at this intersection! 



A Navy Hawkeye plane doing touch and go's

Our tour bus

 


One of the planes used for taking flying lessons


My private jet waiting to wisk me off to some tropical island! (wishful thinking!) :) 













Some great engineering going on here! 

And here! 








Sorry it's upside down! 

Our Schultute's! 

German Folk Dancing












 Some more engineering going on!



















No comments:

Post a Comment