Sunday, April 22, 2018

April 22, 2018

Happy Earth Day! It sure has started out to be a beautiful day, however I see where rain is headed our way. When I was growing up, my mom always told me "April showers bring May flowers", so I guess we need the rain to help give us some pretty flowers!

I have to brag on your children for a minute here... :)  Usually this time of year I have always noticed a reversal in behaviors and resorting to more what we see at the beginning of a new school year in K-Prep. I am not seeing this at all with your kids! They are cleaning up their centers better than before, they are really trying to work out conflicts with another child, they are really practicing their social skills we have been teaching them and they are outdoing themselves on our morning large group white board activities and they are wanting to learn to read. This week I introduced to them some very basic repetitive beginning reading books. Yes, they learned to read it by rote, however, this is a pre-reading skill and they loved it. They wanted to read to anyone who came in the classroom! Some more pre-reading skills are having them "read" environmental print. They can "read" the word Walmart, Lowe's, McDonalds, Hershey's..anything that is familiar to them with a label, I bet they can tell you what it is, and that is part of learning to read. A few other pre-reading skills are learning sequencing (seed, roots, stem, flower, or take a bath, brush teeth, go to bed), using rhyming words and having them tell you a story about a picture (photograph, magazine picture, etc). These kids want to learn and they really enjoy it!

This week we will be working on letter Uu, number 32 and the heart shape. We will be doing some rhyming, matching pictures with words, matching upper and lower case and some math skills in our small group.

Our parent handbooks are hot off the press and ready to go. Some of you have requested the hard copy and some of you requested the email version. In either case, we have a paper for you to sign in the classroom that says you have received your handbook as well as a photo release form. (the pic form is separate from this blog).

Please make sure your child has a complete change of clothes in their plastic box in their cubby.

Please make sure to leave jewelry and toys at home. ( I know we have a few that like to sneak things in to the classroom in their pockets! :) )

Make sure you take their blanket and pillow and stuffed animal home every Friday to be washed and brought back on Monday.

I will be out on Thursday, May 3rd and Friday May 4th. I am headed back to Greensboro to pack up the youngest sons dorm stuff that can go to the oldest son's house in Charlotte, then driving to Charlotte to have lunch with the oldest son, driving back to Greensboro and cramming the rest of the dorm room stuff into my car after his last exam and then coming back home with the son, as long as he fits in the car with all of his stuff :) 


Leaders For The Week Of April 23-April 27: 

Monday:       Adam

Tuesday:       Grayson

Wednesday:   Aiden

Thursday:     Logan

Friday:         Neriah



If you have any questions or concerns, see me at school, send me an email, or call the school and leave me a message and I will get back to you during rest time.

Have a wonderful week!

Mrs. Wendy

pics from last week:
































No comments:

Post a Comment